WHAT YOU AND YOUR FAVORITE CELEBRITY/ATHLETE HAVE IN COMMON
Currently, I'm performing in the Radio City Music Hall Spring Spectacular. In the dressing room, the gorgeous dancers with whom I perform, have been asking me lots of questions about training and nutrition. You're probably thinking, but, wait don't they already have it all figured out. Here's the thing, they are just like you. Over many years of my training the acrobats of Cirque du Soleil to clients in NYC to celebrities and new moms, I have found that you all have similar questions and challenges. Yes, an individual's desires/goals and career/athletic expectations will vary but there is a
constant amongst everyone.
The body, mind and soul benefit from
challenge, support, balance, individual adaptation, discipline and consistency.
So, when you're admiring a particular actress who's gotten her body back into shape after having just had a baby or your favorite college basketball star, know that, you, like them can achieve and live your greatest unique body goals too.
THE HOW TOs
- Feel in to how you want to feel, to be, to look.
This process of reflection and insight then determines your set goals.
- Plan a balanced approach. Choose various training techniques to strengthen, challenge and stretch you.
- Eat clean. Feed your body appropriately and you will see and feel your desired results.
- Hire a trainer/mentor to guide you and hold you accountable.
- Be consistent. Though you won't spend several hours a day training as we athletes do, you can develop daily habits (10 minutes to 2 hours training) that will connect you to your body that day and further you towards your goals that month.
YOU ARE YOUR OWN UNIQUE ATHLETE.
LIVE YOUR DESIRES.
LOVE YOUR LIFE.
GREENBODY BOOTCAMP BEAUTIES
February contest winners. It's a tie!
ALL the women rocked it! So proud of how each and every one of them dove into 4 weeks of lifting challenges, nutrition regimens and transformational coaching.
"The GREENBODY bootcamp is different because it focuses on perfect form and healthy practice in and out of the studio. With the clean eating nutrition plan I never felt hungry or deprived of the things I love to eat.
It's more about being smart with when/how much to eat throughout the day.
Jess gives you empowerment to hit the gym on your own.
Her technique is easily translated from the studio to any gym; it's not based on crazy fitness trends that force you to only workout at one location or with specialized machinery. At the end of 4 weeks I never want it to be over!" ~ Rena
"Incredible! I really enjoyed having workouts and diets specifically designed for what I was wanting to achieve. My boyfriend's sister-in-law has seen the drastic changes and already mentioned an interest in the upcoming bootcamp. She literally was like… how in the world are you so tiny? Totally made my day. And she is a dedicated Barry's, Modelfit-er, so it was incredible to hear her feedback. She has been doing those workouts for 6 months and has not seen the kind of change I did in 1 month. Even in a class setting, everyone has a tailored workout experience and regimen because Jess is fully aware of our individual needs as well as our desires and goals." ~ Libby
"Jess literally shapes a new you- physically, nutritionally, and mentally. She went above and beyond what I had expected from a bootcamp, which makes it all the more impressive and unique; giving us nutritional advice, and really spending time with each participant." ~ Danielle
WILL YOU BE THE NEXT NYC SUCCESS STORY?
sign up for the upcoming bootcamp
Do you wish your derrière was HIGHER, ROUNDER, STRONGER?
Your wish is my command.
Unless born with an already stellar asset, one has to shape, challenge and build it.
MY SECRET STRATEGIES REVEALED:
*Lift 3-5 sets! 12-15 reps
*Choose appropriate weights to both challenge yourself and be able to keep good form. Do this and you will see results.
*2 legs/glutes lifting days per week + circuits throughout the week involving legs
Leg Press (high foot placement to engage glutes more than quads)
Plyometrics (box jumps, squat jumps, split jumps)
Stair Master (side cross step + centered 2 stairs at a time)
Step Ups (shoulder carry your dumbbells, should feel like effort, maintain good posture)
Deep Squats (dumbbell goblet hold or straight bar overhead)
Kick Backs (machine or cables)
Ballet Barre (arabesques, develope derrière)
Dead Lifts (feet in Pilates stance, heels together toes apart, bend knees significantly keeping heels on ground, then power up to straight legs)
Walking Lunges (shoulder carry hold)
Still trying to achieve that flat belly?
Aren't we all?! I get this query often. You're not alone. It IS possible with a little added discipline and consistency. Add at least one of my tips and you will experience success.
MY TOP 10 TIPS
1) JUMP! Fire up your core in my Video #6
2) WINTER SOUP NEVER LOOKED SO GOOD
A liquid form at dinner gives our digestive system a much needed break as there are less solids to process. Try a puree of veggies with organic low sodium chicken or vegetable broth.
3) INTERMITTENT FAST
Allow14-16 hours between dinner and your 1st meal the next day. This next day consume 3 small meals comprising a total of half of your typical calories. Digestion lasts 8 hours and then our bodies begin to detox. Please drink water during the fast.
Bonus Tip: do your cardio during the fast
4) TRAIN YOUR ABDOMINALS Do any of the following consistently: plank variations, hanging abdominals, physio ball variations, Pilates ab series, Bosu variations
5) GET GOOD SLEEP Sleep deprivation causes a rise in the cortisol hormone which leads to excessive belly fat
6) LET GO OF STRESS Stress leads to triggers which can lead to over-eating and excessive cortisol which perpetuates belly fat
7) LEAD WITH GOOD POSTURE ABS in and up! Channel all the great work you do in the studio (dance, Pilates, cross-fit, yoga) to your everyday life. As you sit in your office chair, as you enter a room, as you do the dishes, deepen your abdominals both in to the spine and up along the spine. This action leads to ideal posture, spinal support and the appearance of a beautiful midriff.
8) AIM FOR A CLEAN GUT Add probiotics to your everyday to ensure your healthiest bacterial balance in your gut. This balance determines how one ultimately processes nutrients and one's potential for weight loss.
9) ELIMINATE REGULARLY Are you eliminating 1-3x/day? If not, get on the case. (Tips 2, 8 and 10 will help)
10) CLEANSE Do a 3-7 days seasonal cleanse. Recharge your cellular structure and witness your covered abs appear.
Self care is vital,
especially in the colder months when we are apt to the occasional isolation and stagnant energy cycle.
Elevate your mood, motivation and sense of well being this Winter.
- Socialize and and lean into laughter. Host a dinner party with your besties and serve healthy and delicious foods.
- Soak up the sunshine. Take a walk in the park and pause for a moment in the discovered sun patch.
- Let the sunshine in. Open the curtains in your home.
- Slow down and listen to your body. There is a natural cycle in the rhythm of the body and mind in colder months to nest.
- Lavender gives the body and mind a sense of calm.
- A dab of grapefruit essential oil is wonderful for energy.
SCHEDULE YOUR SUCCESS
A SECRET to your success is consistency.
The colder months challenge us, motivation declines, the desire to nest arises. SCHEDULE YOURSELF, make plans and be accountable. Get to know yourself. For example, if you save your training until after work, and once you arrive home it’s dark and cold outside and you can’t bring yourself to get your tush out the door to actually go to class, then CHANGE YOUR APPROACH and switch your exercise time to mornings.
- PLAN AHEAD, bring your training clothes to work with you and go straight from work to class/gym.
- SCHEDULE a morning class close to your work and bring your work clothes with you. (Most studios have showers)
- BE EFFICIENT. Duck out at lunchtime for an afternoon session.
- STRIKE THE FINE BALANCE with what feels both tough and doable, embrace your challenge and succeed, everyday.
- CREATE your schedule. Sunday before the beginning of the week, reflect, lean in and make choices. What felt good and worked for you last week? What would you like to improve upon this upcoming week? Schedule your classes and your solo time in the gym. You are accountable to those appointments. Show up for yourself.
ENJOY YOUR FANTASTIC WEEK!
Holiday Season is full of delicious temptations…
whipped cream mocha latte this, pumpkin caramel frappacino that… I know, helllooo, it’s the holidays, yes please! Thing is, these drinks have no nutritional value and are full of calories!
Try this instead.
(recipe is high in healthy fats/fruits so please perform a kick ass workout previous)
HOLIDAY POST WORKOUT DESSERT SMOOTHIE
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
¼ cup water
1 cup kale or spinach
1 tablespoon of organic almond butter or peanut butter
protein powder (Brown rice/hemp/pea) worth 20 grams
1 medjool date
dash of cinnamon to taste
¼ cup of coffee if you like
"How do I attend all these Holiday parties and not gain weight?!"
HERE ARE MY TOP 7 TIPS:
- Fill your plate at parties with veggies and protein rather than all the little circulating hors d’oeuvres chock full o’ carbs and calories
- Practice intermittent fasting 2x/week to keep caloric intake balanced. 14-16 hours of fasting since last time you ate, then consume half of your typical daily calories via 2-3 small clean meals
- Cut the crust off of pie
- Drink a glass of water in between alcoholic beverages
- Choose red wine or simple cocktails without juice or mixers
- If you do splurge, go right back to clean eating the next day
THE MUTHASHIP STARRING DREA DE MATTEO... AND ME!
My client of many years, the incredibly talented and beautiful Drea de Matteo, (Sons of Anarchy, the Sopranos) launched her reality web series #themuthaship in December. This past Summer, I went to LA to get Drea's butt back in shape for filming the final ride of Sons of Anarchy. We had so much fun training and in just 3 weeks she reconnected to her core (important for moms), lost fat, got much stronger and felt reinvigorated.
STAY TUNED FOR MY WORKOUT VIDEO SERIES WITH DREA. COMING AT YA IN JANUARY
I wanted to make a video for women who desire an intense and effective workout and for moms who feel ready to dive in and get their bodies back. And… I decided to add some sass and humor.
Of course, the perfect collaborator was my longtime client and friend Drea de Matteo (The Sopranos & Sons of Anarchy)
Each Monday, for the next 8 weeks, GREENBODYNYC.COM Will Feature a One Hot Mama Workout (aka “FU I’m 40!” a la Drea)
THE PROGRAM IS AN 8 PART SERIES.
Each Session Is Under 10 Minutes.
- WANT A 1 HR LONG FULL BODY WORKOUT? Train Along With Each Video In Sequence
- ONLY HAVE 10 MINUTES TODAY? Move That Body! Choose 1 Video And Go Full Out!
- READY TO TRULY SHAPE YOUR BOD? Choose 1 Video And Repeat The Circuit 3-4X
- IN NEED OF SOME QUIET TIME AND RELAXATION? Enjoy The Warm Up And Stretch Sessions
VIDEO #1: THE WARM-UP
THE WINTER BLUES? DON'T LET 'EM GET YOU DOWN
“Baby, It’s Cold Outside”... Are You Experiencing Fatigue Or Low Energy, Irritability, Lack Of Motivation, Weight Gain, The Urge To Just Cuddle Up At Night And Hibernate?
These Symptoms Can Feel Limiting And Thus Challenging To Break The Cycle Of Inactivity, Nighttime Eating And The Blues. Oh, And Then There’s That New Year’s Resolution You Made To Yourself To Lose Your Holiday Curve And Get Healthy… But… Now It’s Dark And Cold Outside And Your Motivation To Get Your Arse To A Studio/Gym Is, How Shall We Say, Non-Existent.
MY TOP 3 NUTRITION TIPS TO PHYSIOLOGICALLY
ELEVATE YOUR MOOD, MOTIVATION AND SENSE OF WELL BEING
1) RESTFUL ZZZZZs
the body naturally wants to nest and rest more in colder months because the lack of sunlight results in a decrease in Melatonin and Affects Sleep Patterns/Mood
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons Organic Dark Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate In Water an hour before bedtime to wind down more easily and for a sound and Restful Sleep (Natural Melatonin)
2)INCREASE VITAMIN D INTAKE
decrease in sunlight (Vit d) may disrupt our body's internal clock and lead to a drop in seratonin levels (brain chemical that effects mood)
- take Supplement Form of Vitamin D
- eat Fatty Fish- Salmon, Tuna, Trout, Sardines, Tuna
3) OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS POSSIBLY PLAY A ROLE IN LESSENING DEPRESSION
- cold water fish
- Flaxseed/ Flax Oil
The Above Nutrition List Is Merely Suggestion, Not A Prescription
VIDEO #2 CORE INTENSITY
WINTER BLUES? MY WEEKLY TIPS CONTINUE
Buddying up just might be your answer to your best body yet.
One of my greatest joys in life is time spent with friends, whether it be getting our hands dirty in the rehearsal studio or gym, enjoying stimulating conversation over a healthy meal or supporting and witnessing each other's aspirations.
Exercise with your besties
Lean into laughter
Social play time and accountability is win win
Generate endorphins together
Attend each other's favorite class and train as a duo with a trainer